How Do I Become a
New Covenant Christian?
I. STEPS TO DISCIPLESHIP
AND MEMBERSHIP IN NCCG
- If you were to die today, and were to meet God, and He should ask you why He should let you into Heaven, what would you say?
- If you are not sure, then there are some important facts you need to know:
- Heaven (eternal life) is a FREE GIFT based on God's grace.
"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23, NIV).
- Heaven cannot be earned or deserved.
"For it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith -- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that non-one can boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- Grace is the undeserved kindness of God toward man -- it refers to what God wants to give you which you do not deserve.
WHY, THEN, DO SO MANY PEOPLE NOT HAVE THIS GIFT?
- Man in himself does not deserve the gift of heaven...
- Man is a sinner by nature and by choice:
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).
- Man is incapable of doing good of his own power according to God's standards:
"...there is no-one who does good, no, not one" (Romans 3:12).
"For whoever keeps the whole law (of commandments) and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking it all" (James 2:10).
- Man cannot save himself:
"(God) saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy" (Titus 3:5).
THE RESULT OF THIS SIN IS FOUND IN FACT 3
- There is a penalty for sin.
- God is love -- He doesn't want to judge you.
"The Lord...is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9).
- God is also just -- He must judge sin.
"...He does not leave the guilty unpunished..." (Exodus 34:7)
"The wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23)
is physical death
and also spiritual death (separation from God)
Man's basic needs are:
-- PEACE WITH GOD
-- ETERNAL LIFE
- He tries religion, good deeds, materialism, drugs, popularity, entertainment, sex, the occult, etc., to satisfy his needs, BUT THESE DO NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF SIN.
- God is love. He has the solution!
FACT 4 TELLS US HOW GOD HAS THE ONLY SOLUTION
JESUS CHRIST IS YOUR ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN
- Who He is -- the infinite God-man:
"In the beginning was the Word (Jesus Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...and the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us" (John 1:1,14).
- What He did -- He paid the penalty of our sins, and purchased a place in heaven for us:
"...God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).
"For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God" (1 Peter 3:18).
"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through Me'" (John 14:6).
WHAT MUST YOU DO?
- Personal faith in Christ -- is the answer.
- Faith is NOT -- merely mentally believing a fact:
"You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that -- and shudder" (James 2:19).
Many people agree that Jesus Christ lived and died, and some even agree to the fact of His resurrection! But they have not turned from sin, and trusted Him.
- FAITH is -- turning from your sins and trusting in Jesus Christ alone for your eternal salvation!
"Salvation is found in no-one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).
"Yet to all those who received (Jesus Christ), to those who believed in His Name, He gave the right to become children of God" (John 1:12).
"'Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved...'" (Acts 16:31).
"'Everyone who calls on the Name of the Lord Jesus will be saved'" (Romans 10:13).
- The word SAVED means to be delivered from sin -- from oppression, depression, or a sense of worthlessness, from egotism and self-destruction, from greed and selfishness, from hatred and cruelty, from emptiness and loneliness, from defeat and purposelessness, and all that weighs the soul down and cuts it off from the presence of God.
- Now the question is:
CAN YOU THINK OF ANY REASON WHY YOU WOULDN'T LIKE TO INVITE CHRIST INTO YOUR LIFE RIGHT NOW?
- Here is a suggested prayer that may express the desire of your heart:
Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the gift of eternal life. I know that I am a sinner and that I cannot save myself. I believe Jesus is the Son of God and that He died for my sins and rose again from the dead. I now put my complete trust in you alone for eternal life. Thank you for delivering me! In Jesus's Name, Amen.
- If you have been in bondage to the occult, drugs, sexual abuse, homosexuality, or any other vice, then the following is a suggested prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father,
I want truly to be Your child, and I want to be completely free. I confess that Jesus is Lord, I believe You raised Him from the dead and I confess my need for the new birth and freedom He alone can give. I want this. I renounce (the occult, drugs, sexual obsession, homosexuality, etc.) and all its lifestyle and activity. I renounce all things connected with (the occult, drugs, etc....) that have touched my life recently or have come into my life through my family or friends. I renounce it all, turn from it and ask You to forgive me, free and deliver me from all its consquences. I ask You to fill me with Your Holy Spirit and lead me in the way I should go. I count this done, and thank you for it, in the mighty Name of Jesus Christ my Lord, Amen.
- Pray this prayer now.
- How do you know that you have eternal life?
- Because God says so! Don't trust your feelings at this stage because the heart of an inexperienced and immature Christian can sometimes be very misleading especially if it is drawing you back to your old life of sin. But believe God's promise which cannot be broken:
"And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life" (1 John 5:11-13).
- Remember, GOD DOES NOT LIE. He said:
"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: If any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me" (Revelation 3:20, KJV).
- If you have taken these words into your heart and have sincerely meant what you have prayed to God, you are a NEW CHRISTIAN. You have begun your new life as a son or daughter of God. Having freely accepted and received the salvation of Christ, you must now grow to maturity in Him. God has done His part, and will continue to bless you throughout your life, but there are some other things that you must do right away:
1. Make a public confession of your faith before others (Matthew 10:32; Romans 10:9-10);
2. Be baptized in obedience to Christ and in testimony to your faith (Matthew 28:19-21; Acts 8:35-39; 16:30-34; Romans 6:3-5);
3. Attend a Bible-believing church where you can fellowship with other Christians and learn the Word of God (Acts 2:41-42; Hebrews 10:24-25).
Making a Public Confession
- Accepting Christ as Saviour and Lord of your life entails what God calls "works" or deeds. These are the evidence that we have been saved by faith:
- Do you want evidence that faith without deeds is uselss?...As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead" (James 2:20,26 -- read 21-25 also).
- A person who has been saved will desire with all his heart to witness to others so that they can be saved also. And he will desire this because of love. Every Christian is a witness:
"Whoever acknowledges Me before men, I will also acknowledge Him before My Father in Heaven" (Matthew 10:32).
"...if you confess (witness) with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess (witness) and are saved" (Romans 10:9-10).
- This is not a once only confession but an activity that you will do all your life. It is one of the fruits of your salvation in Christ.
- Whilst being baptized won't save you, it is a fruit of salvation, which is the desire to be obedient to God in all things:
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I will be with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:19-20).
"'Sirs, what must I do to be saved?' They replied, 'Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved'...then immediately he and all his family were baptised" (Acts 16:30-34).
Baptism should be performed as soon as possible after you have accepted Jesus as your personal Saviour.
- The word BAPTISE means to BURY or IMMERSE in water. This is a symbol of our death to sin and our raising to new life in Jesus Christ.
- Baptism by immersion is a commandment to all Christians (Acts 10:47-48).
"When they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the brethren, What shall we do? Then Peter said to them, Repent and let everyone of you be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call. And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, Be saved from this perverse generation. Then those who gladly received his word were baptised; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. They continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles" (Acts 2:37-43, New King James Version).
Attend a Church
Which church should I join?
- There are many thousands of different churches in the world many of which are not teaching the "apostles' doctrine".
- Jesus said: "I will build My Church" (Matthew 16:18)
- The Bible gives us the keys to identifying a true Church of Jesus Christ:
- 1. It will teach the doctrine of salvation as explained in this pamphlet.
- 2. It will in addition teach the following points of identification of Christ's New Testament Church:
- 3. CHRIST was the "cornerstone" (1 Peter 2:4-6)
- 4. REVELATION was its foundation (Matthew 16:17,18)
- 5. THE PRINCIPLES AND FRUITS OF SALVATION (Hebrews 6:1-2):
FAITH (Hebrews 11:6)
REPENTANCE (Mark 1:14-15)
BAPTISMS (John 3:5)
LAYING ON OF HANDS FOR
Blessing of children (Mark 10:14-16)
Healing of sick (James 5:14-16)
Ordination (Acts 13:2-3)
Confirmation/Chrism (Acts 8:14-17)
Other special blessings
- 6. STEWARDSHIP was a way of everyday living (1 Peter 4:10; Matthew 25:14-20)
- 7. LEADERSHIP consisted of:
Apostles, prophets, evangelists, teachers, pastors (Ephesians 4:11), Elders (Acts 14:23), Bishops (1 Timothy 3:1-4), Deacons (Philippians 1:1), Deaconesses (Romans 16:1-2), Prophetesses (Luke 2:36), Preachers (2 Timothy 1:11), etc.
- 8. SPIRITUAL POWER was demonstrated:
Wisdom, knowledge, faith, miracles, healing, prophecy, discerning of spirits, talking in tongues, interpreting tongues (1 Corinthians 12:1-10), visions and dreams (Acts 2:16-17), etc.
- 9. RESULTS showed in changed lives:
Love, joy, peace, gentleness, faith, goodness, long-suffering, meekness, temperance, diligence, virtue, charity, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, knowledge (Galatians 5:22-23; 2 Peter 1:5-7), etc.
- 10. THE WORD OF GOD was its constant guide (Matthew 24:35)
- 11. LOVE OF GOD AND FELLOW MAN was its greatest commandment (Mark 12:29-31)
- 12. THE MYSTERIES were taught the mature (see below)
"Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquianted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food ("meat") is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish between good and evil" (Hebrews 5:13-14).
- The true Church of Jesus Christ will not only teach the "elementary truths of God's word" to young believers (Hebrews 5:12) -- the "milk" Gospel -- but will also teach the "solid food" or "meat" Gospel:
"Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And God permitting, we will do so" (Hebrews 6:1-3).
- There are many churches that teach the elementary or "milk" Gospel of Jesus Christ -- repentance, faith in Christ, water baptism and Spirit baptism (the two baptisms), the laying on of hands, the resurrection and eternal judgment, and they are a very necessary part of the work of God. But there is a time when a Christian has mastered all these principles of salvation and wants to "go onto maturity", and into a deeper relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. Paul hints a little of this maturity Gospel in the fifth chapter of his letter to the Hebrew Christians.
God's Secret Wisdom
- Having accepted Christ as your personal saviour, repented of your sins, been baptised in water and the Holy Spirit, and learned the elementary doctrine of the faith, and proved yourself faithful in your witness of Christ, you quality yourself for the deeper mysteries of God's Kingdom:
"'The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you (disciples). But to those on the outside (in the world) everything is said in parables...'" (Mark 4:11).
- Those who are born again in Christ come to understand the secret or mystery of His great love which is utterly incomprehensible to those who have not received Him as their Saviour. In addition, there is a secret wisdom which God has reserved for the mature in Christ which the babes, who feed on the Gospel milk, cannot understand:
"We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understand it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. However, as it is written:
'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him' --
but God has revealed it to us by His Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God..." (1 Corinthians 2:6-10).
- God's secret mystery is rooted in the atonement of Jesus Christ, the most important historical event of all time. It is God's desire to take His disciples into His very Heart, to see and understand His workings so that we, through faith in Him, may be perfected (John 17:23, KJV).
The New Covenant Christian Church
- The New Covenant Church of God is a Church both for those coming to a newness of Christ as well as those who desire to deepen their faith and commitment in the Lord. It administers both the "milk" and the "meat" Gospel. It is a Church of contemporary prophets and of revelation and has brought forth nearly 1,000 modern revelations that illuminate the mystery of Christ.
- If you would like to invite Christ into your life for the first time and desire a church to fellowship with, of if you are already a committed Christian and would like to enter deeper into the New Covenant of Jesus Christ, please contact us.
For Part II of DISCIPLESHIP, click the button below:
This page was created on 25 December 1997
Updated on 25 January 2001
Copyright © 1997-2007 NCCG - All Rights Reserved