14 September 2010 (Shleshi/Bikkurim)|
Day #182, 5934 AM
Teshuvah #37 Fruits VII
Knowing is the Secret of Loving
Continued from Part 6
We now come to the last secret about the abundant life that Yah'shua the Messiah (Jesus Christ) offers to all those who will have faith (trust), live faithfully (being true to covenant), and obey the mitzvot or commandments as we seek to make teshuvah or repent from our sins. We have thus far unearthed from the Scriptures four important secrets that will help us accomplish our goal and the fifth, which we are going to investigate today to conclude this series, will make the whole emet (truth) clear:
Our relationship to Yah'shua the Messiah (Jesus Christ) is pictured in Scripture as an allegorical marriage. In other words, the quality and depth of our spiritual union with Messiah is to be compared with the quality and depth of a perfect human marriage. The secret of a relationship with Yah'shua is identical to that of husband to wife: it is the secret of knowing. True ahavah-love, as opposed to the weak and beggerly worldy counterparts of 'love', is based upon the kind of knowledge and understanding that comes from intimacy. Strong friendships also work along knowing one another. Those who love one another are those who have made the effort to know one another.
- a. The secret of living is bearing fruit (Jn.15:8);
- b. The secret of bearing fruit is abiding (Jn.15:5);
- c. The secret of abiding is obeying (Jn.15:10);
- d. The secret of obeying is loving (Jn.14:15); and
- e. The secret of loving is knowing!
The more we come to know Father Yahweh, Yah'shua (Jesus) and the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit), the more we will love them because of who they really are. It is principally ignorance of Elohim (God) that keeps the world away. The world has been taught many lies about Elohim - a false cariacature that turns them away. Our love for and understanding of Yahweh-Elohim grows in direct proportion to Their love for us: "For Elohim (God) so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16, NKJV). "By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren" (1 John 3:16, NKJV). It is only by coming to know Yahweh that we learn to truly and selflessly love both man and Elohim.
This is not mere intellectual, head-knowledge or theology that is being spoken of here. And it isn't just your heart either, even though this is undoubtedly one of the most important spiritual organs of 'knowing'. And it is isn't just loving with your body in your actions - what you do - either. This 'knowing', which in Hebrew translates the word yada that is also used of the sexual union of man and wife, involves all of these three plus your ruach or spirit. The 'knowing' of Scripture involves knowing with every single particle that the Creator used to make you - from the spiritual down to the physical. When you are touched by Yahweh for real, every single part of you is touched...and 'knows'. That is why norminal, superficial or partial conversion is never enough to see you through to the journey's end. These things being true (as they must be), knowing Yahweh then becomes the first major step in the process of living "the abundant life":
Like a nuclear reactior powering the electricity grid of a city, there is a chain reaction here which can be understood. There is a beautiful symmetry to Yahweh's laws and principles that make up for an astonishingly complex - and yet at the same time simple - tavnith or pattern. Whether we are studying the Bible or nuclear physics we will always find the same tavnith. Thus Cheng Ning Yang, nuclear physicist, wrote at the dawn of the nuclear age:
- 1. By knowing Yahweh, we come to love Him;
- 2. By loving Him, we will obey Him;
- 3. By obeying Him, we will abide in Him;
- 4. By abiding in Him, we will bear fruit;
- 5. By bearing fruit we will experience the joys of abundant living.
We too, like the physicist who wants to understand the nature of the physical creation at the atomic level, can understand this basic tavnith or pattern in the spiritual realm that leads to the 'nuclear energy' of spiritual life. They are all related because they are all the work of the same Cosmic Mind and Heart. To produce the chain-reaction desired we must come to know Yahweh-Elohim in such a way as to produce this "abundant life".
"...nature seems to take advantage of the simple mathematical representation of the symmetry laws [of nuclear physics]. The intrinsic elegance and beautiful perfection of the mathematical reasoning involved and the complexity and depth of the physical consequences are great sources of encouragement to physicists. One learns to hope that nature possesses an order that one may aspire to comprehend." (Elementary Particles, 1959).
And so we learn that the abundant life can become a self-perpetuating cycle! It is like a Uranium reactor that never depletes of uranium because the fuel that is supplied to our inner being is eternal. This is one important way you can distinguish between counerfeit love and strength for they eventually run out or burn you out.
- 1. The Key to Knowing Yahweh. As is true in human relations, the key to coming to know Yahweh is through communication. Where there is communication, knowledge of one another grows. Where there is little or none, relationships flounder. Communication with Yahweh is two-way. He speaks to us through the Bible, written by men inspired by the Ruach haQodesh: "For prophecy never came by the will of man, but set-apart (holy) men of Elohim (God) spoke as they were moved by the Ruach haQodesh (Holy Spirit)" (2 Peter 1:21, NKJV). He also speaks to us directly through the Ruach haQodesh to our spirits which we then understand with our minds and hearts: "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when She, the Ruach haEmet (Spirit of truth), has come, She will guide you into all emet (truth)" (John 16:12-13, NKJV). Whatever is spoken by revelation to man in this fashion will never contradict what the prophets, apostles and Yah'shua spoke in Scripture before: "If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of Yahweh" (1 Cor.14:37-38, NKJV). We, in our turn, speak to Yahweh in prayer: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to Elohim; and the shalom (peace) of Elohim, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Messiah Yah'shua" (Phil.4:6-7, NKJV). Moreover, prayer is not to be occasional but continuous: "Pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of Elohim (God) in Messiah Yah'shua (Christ Jesus) for you" (1 Thess.5:17-18, NKJV) whether verbally or silently inside.
As simple as it may sound, reading the Bible and praying to Yahweh may be the catalysts starting the 'chain-reaction' that will lead one to experience "the abundant life". The Scriptures should not be neglected and are of immeasurable value: "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; but his delight is in the Torah (teaching law) of Yahweh, and in His Torah he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper" (Ps.1:1-3, NKJV). The value of prayer to receiving blessings from Yahweh was taught specifically by Yah'shua: "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" (Matt.7:7-11, NKJV).
- 2. Knowing Through Experience. The sharing of mutual experiences with friends and loved ones helps us to know them better. By reading of Yahweh's experiences with His people in the Scriptures, and what it is He loves and hates, helps us to come and know Him better too. That is why David said the studying of His Torah was so important for without it we would never know what the true tavnith or pattern of life was. We must not define what 'life' or 'living life' is apart from Yahweh since He alone knows what true Chayyim (Life) is as opposed to all the counterfeit worldly psychic versions which have no permanence or abiding. As we go through life in true tavnith, using the total (and not just selective) counsel of Scripture to teach us right thinking and feeling, we will experience such things as Their ahavah (love) for us, They will impart their On or strength to us. It was Paul's especial desire that we would receive both this divine ahavah and on: "For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Master Yah'shua the Messiah (Lord Jesus Christ), from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Ruach (Spirit) in the inner man, that Messiah may dwell in your hearts through faith [and faithfulness]; that you, being rooted and grounded in ahavah (love), may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height -- to know the ahavah (love) of Messiah which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of Elohim. Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the messianic community (church) by Messiah Yah'shua (Christ Jesus) to all generations, forever and ever. Amen" (Eph.3:14-21, NKJV).
So what is the tavnith or pattern of that self-perpetuating cycle that leads to abundant living? And how can we enter into it and remain there? This is the proufoundly simple Emet or Truth. "The abundant life" can become this endless cycle on five straightforward conditions:
For many, this is just 'too good to be true'. For others, who have tried and failed, it is because they have refused to follow divine tavnith but have insisted on following the patterns they learned from their parents, at school, in the churches and in the world and as a result become frustrated and have lost faith. Biblical tavnith is admittedly both very different and unfamiliar to what most have experienced or trust in and so they try - unsuccessfully - to approach God - using false patterns. Just as nuclear physics follows very precise laws, so too do the spiritual laws of the universe. Make a decision to trust biblical tavnith and lay aside the patterns of the world and the churches - trust the Creator of Tavnith, Yahweh-Elohim, for He is Tavnith (Pattern) just as He is Ahavah (Love) (1 Jn.4:8,16).
- 1. For if we are willing to "know Elohim" by giving Yahweh-Elohim our thoughts for patterning in tavnith as we read His words in Scripture and pray;
- 2. Then we will "love Elohim" and give Yahweh-Elohim our feelings for patterning in tavnith as we learn of His ahavah or love for us;
- 3. Loving Yahweh-Elohim we will then "obey Elohim" and in so doing, align our wills for patterning in divine tavnith since we are then motivated by ahavah (love);
- 4. Obeying Yahweh-Elohim, we will "abide in Elohim" and thus benefit from His strength which flows through the correct patterning in tavnith;
- 5. Abiding in Yahweh-Elohim and benefiting by His strength, we will "bear fruit" and thereby enjoy the blessings found in the very act of doing so because it too is after the patterning of tavnith; and
- 6. Through the experience of bearing fruit and walking with Yahweh-Elohim, our correctly patterned knowledge in tavnith will increase, and so the cycle starts all over again!
Give yourself a real chance to come to know Yahweh by reading His Word because this is the most important thing you will ever come to do in your whole life:
If you already know of His love for you but have not obeyed His gospel tavnith, why not do so today? For "He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him" (Heb.5:9, NKJV). Be blessed in Him! Amen.
"'Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor let the rich man glory in his riches; but let him who glories, glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am Yahweh, exercising loving-kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight,' says Yahweh" (Jer.9:23-24, NKJV).
 Warren W. Wiersbe, Five Secrets of Living (Tyndale House, Wheaton, ILL: 1978)