19 November 2010 (Sheshi/Kippur)|
Day #248, 5934 AM
Orders of Angels
Our Heavenly Guardians
Today I want to look at Yahweh's angels, partly because I want to get to better know them myself. There must be millions of them (Rev.5:11). Though it is hard to be sure, there seem to be at least five types (maybe six):
Angel functions are many. They celebrate our victories (Lk.15:10) and escort us to Paradise when we die (Lk.16:22). They are recorders (Ezek.9:1-2), and are presumably the scribes of the Book of Life (Rev.20:12). Of interest to us as deliverance ministers is that they execute Yahweh's judgments on people, cities and nations (Eccl.5:6; Ezek.9:5; Rev.15:1) by causing death and destruction of the wicked. They bring us messages from Yahweh (Zec.1:9) and bring us physical sustenance when we desperately need it, as they did to Elijah (1 Ki.19:5-6).
- 1. THE ANGEL OF YAHWEH. Since this is the only angel/messenger (malak) anyone has ever been able or allowed to worship (Josh.5:13-15; cp. the one John was not allowed to worship in Revelation), this has to be Yah'shua (Jesus), who is also the Commander of Yahweh's army;
- 2. ARCHANGELS or 'chief' messengers, of which only Michael is named in Jude 9. He is described as a Prince of Israel (Dan.10:21), one of several chief princes (v.13), and seems to be heavily involved in spiritual battles;
- 3. CHERUBIM are guards around Yahweh's throne, protecting His glory; they also protected the Tree of Life in Eden (Gen.3:24). The Ark of Testimony was decorated with images of cherubim (cp. 2 Ki.19:15). Yahweh "rides" on the cherubim in some way (Ps.18:10) though this may be allegorical. They are described as "living creatures" (Ezek.10:15) and move in unison with the Elohim whenever the glory moves. It seems that Satan was once of this order (28:14-15). There does not seem to be any direct contact between us and them, but only with Satan;
- 4. SERAPHIM are like the cherubim only the former are above the throne and the latter are under it (Is.6:1-2). They minister to us humans by carrying out Yahweh's orders by speaking them to us. In the extraordinary passage in Isaiah 6:6-7 they are seen to be able to remit sin!
- 5. GUARDIAN ANGELS are simply known as "angels" though they have different pffices and powers. Every infant is assigned one (Mt.18:10) and seems to remain with us all our lives. There must be billions of them. The comforting thing about these (our guardians/protectors) is that they constantly see the face of Yahweh.
I remember as a Mormon hearing stories of angel help. We must remember that even Mormons have guardian angels. Of course not all may have been guardian angels though I am sure many were. Yahweh lovingly looks after all of us, even when we are in error and are being seduced by demons. There were plenty of such stories in Mormonism but they (the Mormons) seemed to have little idea of the bigger picture.
Angels are able to give us spiritual strength when we are weak (Lk.22:42-43) and are ablre to rescue us from imprisonment as with Peter (Ac.12:7). And what is especially comforting to me personally is that they guard the way of the just:
Are these not marvelous words? Finally, angels are our allies in disarming Satan (Dan.10:12). What deliverance minister can do without them?
"Because you have made Yahweh - my refuge, the Most High - your dwelling place, no evil befalls you, and a plague does not come near your tent; for He commands His messengers (angels) concerning you, to guard you in all your ways. They bear you up in their hands, lest you dash your foot against a stone. You tread upon lion and cobra, young lion and serpent you trample under foot. 'Because he cleaves to me in love, therefore I will deliver him; I set him on high, because he has known My Name. When he calls on me, I answer him; I am with him in distress; I deliver him and esteem (glorify) him. With long life I sanctify him, and show him My deliverance" (Ps.91:9-16, ISRV).
I have rarely seen angels. I saw my first wife's in the premortal world, and I remember TV claims to have seen Sh's. It would be nice to know more. I have seen some generally without knowing who or what they were, and even been struck by them [to wake me up or get my attention].
(From the Diary of Lev-Tsiyon, 13 October 2003, England)