10 May 2010 (Shanee/Maztah)|
Day #56, 5934 AM
Promoting Neutrality and Pluralism
According to a study made by the secular National Geographic magazine (December 2007, p.26), 86% of the world population subscribes to a belief in some sort of religion (of which 33% are Christian, 21% Muslim, 13% Hindus, 6% Buddhists and 12% other) with a mere 14% who declare themselves to have no belief of any kind (slightly more than the total number of atheists in America at 12%). On an individual country-by-country basis only North Korea (71%), China (50%), Estonia (34%) and the Czech Republic (36%) have a significant proportion of unbelievers. And where these numbers are high we know it is because of atheistic totalitarianism - when the Soviet Union collapsed, about 70% of the people claimed to be atheists - two decades on, with people able to choose for themself, it's the exact opposite - now 70% are believers and 30% are atheists, proving that people are, by natural disposition, religious.
If we live in a democracy (at least in the West) where atheists are significantly outnumbered by religious people, why is it that atheists have a disproportionate influence in government, schools and in society in general? In a society which ostensibly believes in proportional representation, it seems to me that religious people are significantly under-represented. This is particularly so in the United States where 82% (that's more than 8 in every 10 people) identify themselves with the Christian faith. In my country of residence (Sweden), which is highly secular, only 29.8% claim to be non-religious - that's a little more than a quarter of the population.
When the educational system legally promotes a minority view (12% in the USA) and is backed by government, then the government no longer represents the majority of the people but a small minority. How, then, does the government claim to be the vox populi or Voice of the People? Well, it isn't. It represents itself and special interest groups. We are free only in name and we do not live in a democracy - whether it's a metocracy or something else is hard to say but clearly it is becoming more and more totalitarian over time. And it's chief hallmark is that it is anti-Christian and pro-almost everything else.
What can be done? Well, for one thing, as Christians we know that what we're dealing with is more than human nature, corrupt as most admit it is. For it is written:
As believers we are to interceed in spiritual warfare against them, especially in government, and to petition Yahweh for intervention. We should also support brave politicians in our prayers who are standing up against tyrrany and corruption for they may, in many cases, be putting their careers, if not their lives, on the line. There are no honest weights and measures in the world system (Babylon) so we should not rely on them - only Yahweh's are fair:
"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against [demonic] principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places" (Eph.6:12, NKJV).
Aven though most "Christians" are only nominal they do at least represent a point-of-view and lifestyle in the political arena. Our politicians need to be made aware of these facts so that society ceases being secular but becomes neutral. Public awareness of these facts needs to be increased, not because we are promoting a religious society by political means (we absolutely are not - that must be accomplished spiritually, as it is in communist China) - but because we are promoting a pluralist one where everyone has the right to practice their own religion or philosophy and educate their children to do the same.
"Honest weights and scales are Yahweh's; all the weights in the bag are His work" (Prov.16:11, NKJV).
Let us pray for all politicians and organisations who are promoting a neutral system for the sake of freedom of choice.