P4. The Deliverance Session, Part 3
I often have people coming to me from various Christian traditions such as Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox for whom scripture is either not important in their lives or is regarded as having equal authority to Church tradition. Religious demons can be just as troublesome as all the others and can interfere in the deliverance process. Unless deliverance is approached without 'religious traditions' and only the authority of the Bible for truth deliverance will not be effective. People coming from Protestant and Messianic 'traditions' can equally bring religious demons with them - a sound scriptural education must preceed and follow deliverance.
This article only gives the simplest and most basic outline. Both ministers and victims should make use of the many resources available for sound scriptural instruction that is available on the main website. An excellent Bible Course called Foundational Studies of the Bible is highly recommended because it allows the pupil to find out the truth directly from the Bible him- or herself. This is soon to be available in book format (3rd edition) from New Covenant Press.
Both deliverance minister and victim should come armed with scripture if at all possible. Those victims who have sufficient control and self-will to be able to study the Bible ought to prepare themselves beforehand by saturating themselves with the Word and prayer. The following selection of scriptures relate to the atonement, the power which lies behind deliverance, so that minister and victim will constantly have the right focus. These are worth reading carefully and, if you can, memorise some of them too:
By all means add to this list, or make your own one. (All scripture references are from the NKJV unless otherwise stated - JNT = Jewish New Testament).
- 1. Luke 4:18 - "The Spirit of Yahweh is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed"
- 2. 1 Peter 3:18 - "For Christ (the Messiah) also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God (Yahweh), being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit (Ruach)"
- 3. Psalm 69:9 - "zeal for Your house has eaten me up, And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me"
- 4. 2 Corinthians 5:21 - "For He (Yahweh) made Him (Yah'shua/Jesus) who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God (Yahweh) in Him"
- 5. Galatians 3:13 (JNT) - "The Messiah redeemed us from the curse pronounced i the Torah (Law) by becoming cursed on our behalf"
- 6. Philippians 3:13-15 - "forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God (Yahweh) in Christ Jesus (Yah'shua the Messiah). Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God (Yahweh) will reveal even this to you"
- 7. Colossians 2:11-13 - "In Him (Yah'shua/Jesus) you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ (the Messiah), buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God (Yahweh), who raised Him from the dead. And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses"
- 8. Romans 6:6 - "our old man was crucified with Him (Yah'shua/Jesus), that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin"
- 9. Colossians 2:20 (JNT) - "you died along with the Messiah from the elemental spirits (demons) of the world"
- 10. Colossians 3:3 - "For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ (the Messiah) in God (Yahweh)"
- 11. Philippians 3:3 - "we are the circumcision, who worship God (Yahweh) in the Spirit (Ruach), rejoice in Christ Jesus (Yah'shua the Messiah), and have no confidence in the flesh"
- 12. Romans 8:12 - "therefore, brethren, we are debtors -- not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh"
- 13. Romans 3:14 - "put on the Lord Jesus Christ (Yah'shua the Messiah), and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfil its lusts"
- 14. James 5:6 - "Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much"
Getting the victim to commit him- or herself to a lifelong study of, and obediebce to, the Bible before, or in the opening stages of, deliverance is vitally important. Faith in Heavenly Father Yahweh through His Son Yah'shua the Messiah (Jesus Christ) and obedience to the Word must always be kept together.
Finally, it is not enough to believe that Yah'shua (Jesus) is just a 'prophet', 'good teacher' or 'unique man'. He must be accepted as the Only-Begotton Son of Yahweh, and a part of the Elohim (Godhead). Yah'shua (Jesus) must be believed as Deity. As a mere man He cannot save or deliver.
This page was created on 7 January 2003
Last updated on 7 January 2003
Copyright © 1987-2008 New Covenant Ministries - All Rights Reserved