A BRAVE AND TRUE
"Search us, O God, and know our hearts today. Try us and show us any wickedness in us. Cleanse us from every sin, and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have been sent here by the people of Kansas and who have been ordained by you to govern this great state. Grant them your wisdom to rule, and may their decisions direct us to the centre of your will. I ask it in the Name of your Son, the living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen!"
PRAYER FOR POLITICIANS
in the Kansas Legislature
It is the custom in some American states to open the State Legislature with prayer. Recently the State of Kansas asked a minister to offer such a prayer. He seemed to touch some nerves with his moving and heartfelt words and his prayer received much attention from some Kansas legislators and also the wider USA media. The minister may have stepped on some toes in the Kansas Legislature, but it seems to have been very appropriate in the light of the issues that legislators are being confronted with today. It may not have been a "politically correct" prayer, but we know that God is more interested in the heart of the one praying than what a few politicians think of the prayer.
The following is the prayer which the minister offered. How appropriate it is to national leaders and governments around the world. Would to God that it could be prayed from the heart by all those who govern us today:
"Heavenly Father, we come before you today to ask for your forgiveness and to seek your direction and guidance. We know your Word says: 'Woe to those who call evil good,' but that is exactly what we have done. We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.
"We confess that:
- we have ridiculed the absolute truth of your Word in the name of 'moral pluralism';
- we have worshipped other gods and called it 'multiculturism';
- we have endorsed perversion and called it 'an alternative lifestyle';
- we have exploited the poor and called it 'a lottery';
- we have neglected the needy and called it 'self-preservation';
- we have rewarded laziness and called it 'welfare';
- in the name of 'choice', we have killed our unborn;
- we have neglected to discipline our children and called it 'building esteem';
- we have abused power and called it 'political savvy';
- we have coveted our neighbour's possessions and called it 'taxes';
- we have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it 'freedom of expression';
- we have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it 'enlightenment'.
This page was created on 7 April 1998
Last updated on 7 April 1998
Copyright © 1987-2007 NCCG - All Rights Reserved